May 13, 2007
Mother's Day at Cranky Fitness
Many of us learned our healthiest habits from the original Health Expert--Mom. Some of us had to re-learn these lessons later, after a period of Adolescent Rebellion or "Adventures in College Dormitory Living"--but it would have been much much harder to start from scratch.
Here are a few random lessons Crabby's mother taught her as a tiny Crablet, and for these she is very grateful:
1. Don't eat your entire bag of Halloween candy in one sitting. (This useful lesson in moderation also applies to packages of Oreo cookies, Pepperoni Pizzas, Quarts of Ben & Jerry's, and bottles of Chardonnay).
2. Don't stay up past your bedtime or you'll feel Extra Crabby the next day.
3. Unfamiliar vegetables taste weird the first time you try them, but you have to eat them anyway because with persistence you may grow to like them.
4. Potato chips and Coke and a package of twinkies in the afternoon will indeed spoil your dinner.
5. Leave your scabs alone--if you keep picking at them, you'll just make them bleed.
6. Smoking is actually very bad for you.
7. Don't hitchhike or get into cars with strange men.
8. If a toy (or Exercise Gadget) is advertised only on TV, it is probably junk. If it were really any good, why wouldn't they sell it in the regular stores?
9. Wear your seatbelt every single time you get in a car and one day you'll be really glad you did.
10. It's not good to mope around indoors all day. Go outside and play!
This is only a partial list, there are doubtless many more Smart Health-Related Things Crabby learned from her mother.
Is there anything you learned (or didn't, or did and wish you hadn't) about Health from your Mother?